Tri Mayberry 2013
Sunday, April 21, 2013
Mounty Airy, NC
300 yard Swim
Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
Come support this great event as proceeds support the Reeves Community Center Foundation and Rotary projects in our community and abroad.
(for course maps - click on "Course Maps" button above)
Swim - 300 Yards
This is an excellent pool swim in a 25 yard pool at Reeves Community Center. Each participant will be assigned a swim start time based on your estimated 100 yard swim time. It is highly recommended that you submit an accurate swim time in order to limit congestion and crowding in the pool.
We will stagger the start by 15 seconds to ensure plenty of room for everyone.
The below averages and times provide some guidance as to how project how fast or slow you would swim 100 yards.
Minutes & Seconds Per 100 Yards
Average Swimmer: 2:08 Median Swimmer 2:03 Fastest Swimmer 1:10 Slowest Swimmer: 5:09 Top 10%: 1:34 25th Percentile: 1:46 75th Percentile: 2:19
Bike - 28K - (17 Miles):
The bike course is one loop ride on the rural country roads of Mount Airy and Surry County. The views are amazing with scenic views of the Blue Ridge Mountain Range with a few challenging hills. All roads are open to vehicular traffic but law enforcement will ensure safety at intersections.
Run 5K (3.1 miles):
The final stretch is a single loop run through the streets of Mount airy and incorporating Historic Downtown Mayberry and finishing on Main Street viewing establishments synonymous with Mayberry. There will be one water stop.
This event benefits Mount Airy Rotary Club and Reeves Community Center Foundation.
All proceeds benefit Mount Airy Rotary Club and and the Reeves Community Center Foundation, Mount Airy Rotary Club supports local charities and international projects throughout the year and the Reeves Community Center Foundation supports local scholarships for underprivileged youth, disabled adults and capital projects at Reeves Community Center.
Event Site Rules
The Tri Mayberry Triathlon is a USA Triathlon sanctioned event.
All participants must complete the event in under 2 hours, 30 minutes from the start of the final athlete. Event officials reserve the right to pull a participant off the course if it appears as though that participant will not be able to complete the event in under 2 hours, 30 minutes.
The minimum age allowed for participating in the Tri Mayberry Triathlon is 10-years-old.
The Tri Mayberry Triathlon will be timed using the ChampionChip Timing System with 5 splits.
1) Saturday, April 20th from 12-5 PM
at the Reeves Community Center
113 South Renfro St, Mt Airy, NC 27030
2) Sunday, April 21st from 6:00 - 7:30 AM
at the Reeves Community Center
113 South Renfro St, Mt Airy, NC 27030
For a map, click "Directions" button (top of page)
A photo ID is required for packet pick-up.
All participants must pick up their own race packet.
(including all relay team members).
USA Triathlon requires that all USAT annual members must show their USAT membership card at packet pick-up.
Also, only cash/check are accepted at packet pick-up.
2029 Rockford Street,
Mount Airy, NC, 27030
Policies and Refunds
50% of your entry fee will be refunded until April 7, 2013. No refunds will be issued for any reason after April 7, 2013.
Entries CANNOT be transferred or deferred to another person, event, or year.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this refund policy.
To request a refund, you must complete the refund request form below.
In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 8:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 8:45AM , the event will be changed to a duathlon format.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
Anyone interested in volunteering is asked to fill out the volunteer form.
A race official will be in touch with you the week of the race.
Age Group Results
CLICK HERE to view Age Group Results
USAT Rules and Information
Most Commonly Violated USAT Rules:
ALL USAT members must show proof of a current membership at packet pick up. If you have recently renewed a membership, then you MUST print out a temporary card or receipt of payment (that shows length of the membership period) to show at packet pick up. We will not take your word for it that your membership is current; you must SHOW us. Failure to do so will result in having to pay the one-day fee of $12.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the USAT website where you can renew your membership or print out a temporary card. You can also renew your membership at packet pick up if that's easier for you.
USAT's "Age Up" Policy:
An athlete's age for any USAT sanctioned race will be his/her age as of Dec. 31, 2013 . The age he/she is on 12/31 will determine his/her racing age group. If an athlete is due to "age-up" into the next group, it will happen at the beginning of the year, not after the athlete's birthday. This action aligns regular U.S. age group racing with the method used by USA Triathlon for its National Rankings Program and its new Grand Prix Series.
Example: John Smith is 39 and will turn 40 on November 20, 2013.
John will be considered 40 for all 2013 races - and will race in the 40-44 age group at all 2013 races.
Sally Jones is 29 and will turn 30 on July 3, 2013.
Sally will be considered 30 for all 2013 races - and will race in the 30-34 age group at all 2013 races.
Top 3 in each of the following categories:
Overall (M & F)
Age Groups (M & F):19 & Under, 20-29,30-39,40-49,50-59,69, 70+
Relay Team (Mixed)
All participants must submit a 100 yard swim time for seeding purposes.
Being a pool swim with a staggered start, participants are seeded from fastest to slowest.
It is in your best interest to submit an accurate 100 yard "pace" time for your swim. In other words, don't submit your fastest 100 yard swim time, submit a 100 yard time that represents what you'll do on race day over the event distance.
By seeding yourself properly, you'll end up swimming near people who swim the same pace as you. This will reduce the number of people who you will need to pass or the number of people who will be passing you. Click HERE to learn how to submit and change swim times.
Seeding Order: As with all events we produce, Age Groups will be seeded first (sorted by 100 yard swim time), followed by Relays (sorted by swim 100 yard swim time). Any athlete who registers at packet pick-up will be seeded AFTER the last pre-registered athlete begins. We will give a 4-5 minute break between the last pre-registered athlete and the first walk-in registered athlete. This is to allow time for the pool to clear so the fast walk-in registered athletes do not have to swim over anyone.
Pool Swim Etiquette:
It is appropriate for a swimmer to yield at the wall and wait to be passed if the person behind them is "on their feet" or "tickling their toes". These issues come about it seems from not properly determining an accurate 100 yard swim time.
Changing Swim Times:
EVERYONE should get in the habit of double checking their swim time. Even if you THINK you entered a correct time, DOUBLE CHECK IT! Every single year, at every single pool swim, there are participants that had "fat fingers" and keyed in an extremely incorrect swim time and end up seeded last. So just double check your time to be sure it is keyed in correctly. And remember this is a 100 yard swim split (not 50!).
Our registration system allows for people to access their registrations and adjust their swim times prior to the race.
NOTE: All swim times must be adjusted no later than Friday April 5, 2013.
After April 5th, participants will no longer be able to make this adjustment on their registration (the system will lock out any changes). Swim times will not be adjusted after that for any reason.
Relay Team Information
- Relays can be 2-person (one person does 2 legs, and one person does 1 leg) or 3-person teams (each person does 1 leg of the event)
- EACH Relay member MUST pick up his/her own packet.
- EACH Member MUST have their photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) to pick up their packet.
- If a member is a minor (17 or under), then a parent/guardian must show an ID to get their packet.
- If a member turns 18 by the end of 2013 they are considered an Adult per USAT, thus they must pick up their own packet.
- If you need to replace a relay member you can e-mail us using the Contact Us button at the top of the page with the changes.
- If it is the week of the event and you need to make a change to a relay member then you can make this change at packet pick up.
- At packet pick up you will be given a sheet of paper that explains how the relays will work (chip hand off, tagging spot, etc.).
- If you are an individual that wishes to switch to a relay team, then you can e-mail us, using the Contact Us button at the top of the page, the following information: Team Name, Team Member Names, Team Member Shirt sizes. You will need to pay the difference to convert to a relay, which you can pay at packet pick up (cash or check only). If it is the week of the event, then you can make these changes at packet pick up.
A participant orientation meeting will be held at 4:00 PM on Saturday, April 20th at the race site (outdoor pool area). We will cover as many details as possible about the race and questions will be encouraged. This meeting should last about 30 minutes - we encourage everyone to attend.
NOTE: There will be NO pre-race instructions given on race morning.
Here are some helpful information regarding our events and things we do:
- Event Details are always posted the week of the event. This document can be viewed and printed out by clicking on the "Event Details" button on the top, right-hand side of the event page. This button will NOT appear until we post the document. READ this information. 99% of the questions we get at packet pick up are answered in this document, so the more information you read ahead of time, the quicker we can move people through the packet pick up process.
- A pre-event e-mail will be sent out the afternoon AFTER online registration has closed. We wait until we have all the registrations before sending this e-mail because we want to make sure everyone gets the information.
- We always post the Official Participant List with everyone's bib (race) number after online registration has closed, usually by the afternoon after registration closes.
- Get in the habit of checking this Official Participant List for your bib number. If you come to packet pick up with your Photo ID and USAT card (if applicable) out and ready to hand to us, and tell us your race number as you approach the table, packet pick up moves about 5 million times faster. Yes, it makes that much of a difference. If it takes you 5 minutes to find your ID, then that's 5 minutes that the people behind you have to wait.
- Everyone MUST show a photo ID at packet pick up, and you can NOT pick up anyone elses packet. This is a USAT rule that we must follow, so please do not ask and then get frustrated with our staff when the answer is no. We do not keep this information a secret. If you have a friend who is not competing, then you can pick up their shirt and any other swag they may have gotten, but you will not be given their numbers.
- If you get your shirt at packet pick up and are not happy with the size, then you will be able to exchange it BUT not until packet pick up ends event morning. We do this to make sure everyone gets the size they registered for first. Otherwise everyone would go to the same size, then we would run out of that size and the people that actually registered for it would not get it.
- Online registration always closes 3 days (72 hours) before the event. This is a system wide feature. This allows us enough time to begin to get everything prepped that we need to for the event. If there are still spots available after online registration has closed, then we will post this information and you will be able to register for the event at the posted packet pick up times. Any time you register for an event on-site, it is ALWAYS CASH OR CHECK ONLY.
- For pool swims, all participants that register on-site will be seeded amongst each other by 100-yard swim time and will begin after all the pre-registered athletes. We leave a LARGE time gap between the last pre-registered athlete and the first on-site sign up to make sure the pool is clear and no one is swimming over anyone else.
- ALWAYS check your swim time more than 2 weeks before the event. After 2 weeks, the system locks you out so no changes can be made, and there are many times that participants think they have entered an accurate swim time when they actually have not. So just always check it to be safe.
- Double check your race category. Remember events competed in as Novice and Relay do not count towards series points, and remember that the Open category is the ELITE category.
- Relax and have fun!