Brave Soldier Challenge - Tuscaloosa, AL 2013
Saturday, March 16, 2013
Central High School Football Stadium: 905 15th Street, Tuscaloosa
Strength/Endurance & Strength/Agility
Friday, March 15, 2013 10:00 AM
VIEW ANOTHER EVENT
The Brave Soldier Challenge - Leave it all on the course!
The Brave Soldier Challenge consists of two separate events. One event focusing on Strength and Endurance and a second event focusing on Strength and Agility. Each event is made up of several challenges that will test the competitors speed, strength, endurance, and agility.
Both the Strength/Endurance event and the Strength/Agility event are timed using the ChampionChip Timing System. Competitors will be provided a timing chip to wear on their ankle. You will begin each event by crossing a set of timing mats that record the exact moment you begin your event. There is another set of timing mats at the end of each event that will record the exact moment you complete the Strenght/Endurance event or Strength/Agility event.
Competitors must complete each challenge that makes up each event. If you are unable to complete a challenge you will be assessed a time penalty that will be added to your total time.
Below is a brief description of the two events that make up the Brave Soldier Challenge. Please note that the individual challenges within each event may vary slightly in type and/or order.
EVENT 1: STRENGTH AND ENDURANCE
- Tire Flip - Competitors will flip over a tractor tire six times, three times up and three times back. Penalties will vary based upon the number of times you flip the tire. 6 minutes for 0 flips, 5 minutes for 1 flip, 4 minutes for 2 flips, 3 minutes for 3 flips, 2 minutes for 4 flips, 1 minute for 5 flips.
- Stationary Row 1000 Meters - Competitors will row 1000 meters on stationary row machines at a preset tension.
- Cinder Block Carry - Competitors will carry two cinder blocks 25 yards to a line, turnaround and carry them 25 yards back - and then repeat this - down and back again for a total of 100 yards.
- Weight Plate Carry - Competitors will carry one 50 LB weight plate 25 yards to a line, turnaround and carry it 25 yards back - and then repeat this - down and back again for a total of 100 yards.
- Sand Bag Lift - Competitors will throw 10 sand bags over an 6ft high wall, go to the other side of the wall and throw the 10 sandbags back over the wall.
- Sand Bag Carry - Competitors will carry two sand bags 25 yards to a line, turnaround and carry them 25 yards back - and then repeat this - down and back again for a total of 100 yards.
- Run 1 Mile - Competitors will run one mile on an out and back course.
THERE IS A BREAK OF ABOUT 30 MINUTES BETWEEN EVENTS 1 AND 2.
EVENT 2 : STRENGTH AND AGILITY
- Stationary Bike 2 Mile - Competitors will ride two miles on a stationary bike at a preset resistance.
- Wall Climb - Competitors will scale an 6ft high wall. The wall will be 3/4" plywood and be permanently mounted.
- Rope Climb - Competitors will climb a 12ft high rope (knots every 2 feet). Note: Challenges 1 and 2 will be attached to one apparatus - 16' square, 12' high - designed out of aluminum stage trussing.
- Suicide Sprints - Competitors will run 25 yards to a line, bend down and touch the ground with both hands, turn-around and run 25 yards back - bend down and touch the ground with both hands - and then repeat this process for a total of 100 yards
- Box Jump - Competitors will box jump a total of 10 boxes. Each box will be one of three heights: 12", 18", or 24". Each competitor must firmly place both feet on each box before continuing to the next box.
- Crawl - Competitors will crawl a total of 30ft under 2ft high cross beams.
- Over/Under - Competitors then reach the next 30ft long apparatusthat makes them go over one cross beam that is 3 feet high then under a cross beam that is 2 feet high, back over a 3 foot crossbeam, back under a 2 foot crossbeam, etc.
- Over - Competitors will jump over a number of 4ft high cross beams for a total of 30ft.
- Balance Beam - Competitors will then walk across a 4" x 4: beam that is 30ft long while carrying different weights in each hand. You will then turn around and carry them back.
- Monkey Bars - Competitors will cross through 30ft of monkey bars. After 3 attempts a competitor will be assessed a 3 minute penalty. **
- Rope Bridge - Competitors will hang upside down and pull themselves across a suspended rope bridge over a specified distance. After 3 attempts a competitor will be assessed a 3 minute penalty. **
- Carge Net Climb - Athletes will then crawl up a cargo net to the apex of the apparatus (16ft high) and then down the cargo net the ground. Eight inch gymnastic mats will be used at the base of the cargo net climb. A 3 minute penalty will be assessed if you cannot completed this obstacle after 1 attempt.
- Sprint - Competitors will sprint 10 yards under the Finish Line inflatable for their second timed segment.
** A competitor must re-enter the course upon instruction from a staff member for that station, so not to impede progress of a fellow competitor.
Event Site Rules
The minimum age allowed for participating in the Brave Soldier Challenge is 16.
The Brave Soldier Challenge will be timed using the ChampionChip Tming System.
Once a competitor begins an event (either Strength/Endurance or Strenth/Agility) the clock will not stop until he or she finishes all the challenges for that event.
If a competitor is not able to complete a challenge in one of the events, he or she will be assessed a time penalty.
Packet Pick-Up will begin race morning at 7:00 AM at the event site. We will also be taking walk up registrations.
*If registered in military category or student category PROPER MILITARY OR STUDENT ID MUST BE SHOWN at packet pick-up.*
Policies and Refunds
This event accepts refunds of 50% of the paid event price up to 14 days prior to the event date or until the event has filled. Event entries are not transferable between persons, events or years. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
The refund cutoff date was Saturday, March 02, 2013 and has passed. No further refunds requests will be accepted for this event.
In the event of inclement the following procedures will be followed:
The event will be postponed until 10:45AM in hopes the inclement weather will pass.
If inclement weather does not pass by 10:45AM , event organizers will decide if the event can take place at some point that same day.
Every effort will be made to have this event on time on this date. Should this event be cancelled due to an Act of God or other circumstance beyond the race directors control there will be no refunds, credits, or transfers.
NO EXCEPTIONS will be made to this policy.
By registering for this event you agree to this weather policy.
- Top 3 Overall Male Civilian
- Top 3 Overall Female Civilian
- Top 3 Male Military Division
- Top 3 Female Military Division
- Top 3 Male Age Groups 16-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+
- Top 3 Female Age Groups 16-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+
Besides these individual awards the Top Oveall Male and Female (Military or Civilian) will also have their names immortalized on the traveling Brave Soldier Challenge Individual trophy. The Top Overall Team will have their team name immortalized on the traveling Brave Soldier Challenge Team Trophy. These two trophy's will travel with us to be displayed at each event.
Brave Soldier Team Challenge
The Brave Soldier team challenge rewards the team with the lowest sum of individual time for 6 people in a 10 person team.
For example, Team BraveSoldier has 8 team members, and their times for both stages are as follows
The 6 times in bold are added together for a total time of 04:43:16
If the time is the lowest team time, then that team is awarded the Brave Soldier Team Challenge award, and immortalized on the Brave Soldier Trophy.
Each person completes the challenge as an individual and will be eligible for the individual category awards. The team will start together in individual order as a team and will go through the obstacles in close proximity, but at no time can another team member physically assist another team member with an obstacle.
Verbal encouragement is highly recommended.
To sign up as a team each person in a team must register as an individual, and specify their team name during the registration process. Those people will be lined up to start together.
If less than six people finish the team challenge, then that team is not eligible for the team award.
Numbers 1-50 will start from 9-10.
Numbers 51-100 will start from 10-11.
Numbers 101-150 will start from 11-12.
BE SURE TO BE AT PACKET PICK-UP AT LEAST 1 HOUR BEFORE YOU GROUP'S START TIME!!!